Senior League Division 1E Ballina v Swinford


On a beautiful early afternoon in Knockmore Swinford took on the unbeaten Ballina Stephenites in a top of the table clash in Division 1E.

The game was delayed as we waited for the referee to arrive by half an hour but this did not unsettle either team who provided great entertainment for the few fans who travelled.

As the writer has stated here on many occasions the club is the back bone of the GAA and deserves as much if not more support then the county team.

Ballina started off the stronger team and got the first two points of the game before Pearse Walsh got Swinford off the mark. That did not halt Ballina who rattled off the next three points to give them a four point lead after 13 minutes.

Pearse Walsh got his second of the game before Ballina rules it out with their sixth point. For thenext ten minutes Swinford took over the game starting with a fine goal from Kevin McShea assisted by a great knock done by JP Broderick. The two men then kicked individual frees to put Swinford in the lead, which was extended by a great point by substitute Jason McLoughlin.

The half time whistle came at the wrong time as Swinford pushed to extend the lead but after a very poor first 20 minutes it was a well earned break on a score of Ballina 0-6 Swinford 1-5.

Swinford started the second half as they ended the first with an initial wide before some great defensive work by Jason McLoughlin led to a turnover and Kevin McShea put over a point from out on the right. The lead should have been further extended but for two wides.

It was the 11th minute before Ballina scored their opening point of the half, with a free, well over twenty minutes since their last score. They soon narrowed the gap with an another point from a free before Kevin McDonagh got a point with a volley over the bar. Another free by Ballina brought it back to a one point game before a fine move up the field ended with a point by JP Broderick.

Ballina got the next two scores and the game was level with just over ten minutes left. Darren Campbell kicked a free to put Swinford back ahead before two points for Ballina put them one ahead with the game entering injury time.

This Swinford team has shown time after time this season that they play to the full time whistle. A high ball was kicked into the melting pot and Kevin McShea used all of his height advantage to punch the ball into the corner of the goal, giving the Ballina keeper no chance.

There was still time for one more Ballina attack which was snuffed out by the old head of Paul McDonagh at full back.

The final whistle saw a scoreline of Ballina 0-13 Swinford 2-9

It was a deserved win in front of about a dozen supporters by a team that is playing very well together. Well done to one and all and to the management team of Billy McNicholas, Tommy Feeney and Michael Lenehan.

With two games left we are joint top of the table with Garrymore with Ballina two points behind with a game in hand. Everything to be played for in the upcoming games against Aghamore and Garrymore.

Swinford: Damien Geraghty, Aiden McLoughlin, Paul McDonagh, John Gerard Kelly, Mark McNicholas, Kevin Barry, Joshua Smith, Gerry Callaghan, Pearse Walsh, Kevin McDonagh, James Sweeney, James Lavin, JP Broderick, Kevin McShea, Darren Campbell. Subs Jason McLoughlin. Unused Sub Gavin Moore

Scorers: Kevin McShea 2-2, Pearse Walsh, JP Broderick 0-2, Jason McLoughlin, Kevin McDonagh, Darren Campbell 0-1

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.